Police warning at Spy Pond on Jan. 24, a day after a man was rescued. / Steve Morgan photo

UPDATED Jan. 25: Arlington police and fire personnel responded at 4 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 23, to a call of a person who had fallen through the ice at Spy Pond near Linwood Street -- the last of three rescues that day.

On arrival, police said they saw "multple crowds" skating.

Public safety officials were able to conduct a shoreline rescue using a lifeline. A police report said the Somerville resident, 53, was taken to a hospital.

Officers said they made several announcement for those remaining to leave the ice.

The next day,  town resident Steve Morgan took this shot showing at least seven people on the ice. For more photos, see Facebook >>

Earlier that day, about 12:30 p.m., police responded to a report of a man falling through the ice. An officer ran about 100 yards on the ice to throw a rope to the person in the water, and with the help of others, was able to pull to safety a Cambridge man, 50, who said he had been skating.

About an hour later, a 62-year-old Arlington man was rescued from the same location by an unidentified man, who pulled the victim in a sled to shore. Police said the victim said he thought he was going to die. 

Arlington Fire Chief Kevin Kelley and Arlington Police Chief, Julie Flaherty remind residents that the town never declares ice safe, nor recommend anyone go onto water bodies because of the uncertainty and constant changing of ice conditions.  

They also remind residents to keep dogs off the ice. These situations can have tragic outcomes as it puts the dog, the owner, and the first responders in unnecessary risky situations.  

Please keep your yourself, your pets, and first responders safe and stay follow these ice and cold-water safety precautions provided by the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. 

Jan. 4, 2022: Police arrest alleged drug dealer

This news announcement was published Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022, and updated Jan. 25, to add a photo, details. Note: The initial town news release reported the call at 11:30 a.m.; the police report noted 4 p.m.