Peirce evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

Peirce School

UPDATED, Oct. 8: Peirce School was evacuated before noon Friday, Oct. 6, because of a carbon monoxide leak in a storage closet in the basement.

In an email to parents and guardians at 12:20 p.m., Superintendent Kathleen Bodie wrote that the step was taken out of an "abundance of caution."

"While the level of carbon monoxide in the upper floors was below the acceptable range," she wrote, students were moved to the Ed Burns ice rink and would not return to the building while the leak is being repaired.

Patch reported that police said there have been no reports of illness or injury. 

Responding queries from YourArlington Fire Chief Robert Jefferson wrote at 2:29 p.m. that no carbon monoxide has been detected following the evacuation.

He confirmed that acid from a leaking battery had displaced oxygen in the room, causing the carbon monoxide monitor to go off at 9:50 a.m. 

Students were evacuated about 11 p.m., Bodie said Oct. 8.

A police tweet at 11:52 a.m. said closing was a precautionary measure and that the Fire Department and the gas company were on scene evaluating. 

YourArlington newsletter

"Fortunately, the need to evacuate a school does not happen often," Bodie wrote, "but it is important that parents and guardians know that the School Department has in place emergency protocols for these types of situations."

This news announcement was published Friday, Oct. 6, 2017, and updated Oct. 8, to add time of evacuation. Information included in this report from Patch is used with permission.